Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cinook Cup Results: Day 3

I am sorry it took me so long to get these posted but I have been traveling. I know, I know, where are my priorities!!

Also, this will not be a popular post given the level of play witnessed on Sunday. Sorry if I offend anyone but hey, just reporting on what I saw.

The Emerald City squad just flat-out outplayed the Sodium girls today to hand them their second and final loss of the Chinook Cup 3-0.
Afterwards Tom stated that he was more disappointed with the effort he saw on the field than the loss itself. It was very apparent that the girls were just not there today. I will have to tip my hat to the Sodium defense for not letting it get any worse than 3-0. Erika Cook, Alexis Frey, Taylor Coon and Camille Fairbairn battled all day as Emerald City just kept penetrating then dropping the ball back & firing at will.
There was a lot of standing around and no 'Team Defense' that Tom has been working on all season. I will admit that with so many guest players it's hard to gel but their was really no excuse for the lackluster effort we witnessed on Sunday.

Heads up ladies. You can't expect to win every game or every tournament. You can though, expect a little more from each other. All day I heard yells from the defense for the mids and forwards to pick up the "drops" but never saw any effort to do so. You are a team. You win as a team, you lose as a team. You go into battle expecting to have someone there to cover your back so you can give 100% without hesitation. From the sidelines, we didn't see that today. We have witnessed it in the past and we will see it again in the near future. You are a great team with great players. Every great team experiences 'bumps' and we can chalk this up to one. But the important thing here is that we learn. We learn from this that when you, as an individual, are unwilling to give 100% for the team, the entire team suffers. Remember; If it is to be, it's up to me? Sodium is not, like other teams, blessed with one or two stand-out players that carry the team. We are a cohesive unit that needs to play at an elevated level. We need every position to give it there all to be champions. Sodium relies on the entire team to win, not one or two specific players. That means that we ALL must give 100% at every position, every game, every practice. And you will, because you are Sodium and that is 'Sodium Style'.

Overall I will applaud the guest players who came out and gave a great effort this weekend. THANK YOU ladies for playing for us, you did a great job and I'm sure you will get calls in the future should the situation arise again!

Next Up:
A break from the action.

GO SODIUM!!

No comments: